Sunday 7 January 2018

Tramping Equipment: Lowa Tibet GTX Boots

New tramping boots for a new year...


I recently brought a new pair of boots to eventually replace my current footwear as my La Sportiva's are starting to wear. I would gladly have brought a new pair of La Sportiva Valojets (my currently boots) but unfortunately they are no longer available in New Zealand. It is great pity because they are exactly the right boot for my foot size, foot type and style of tramping.


My trusty La Sportiva boots on the Harpers Pass Track in 2017...

I wanted to buy a really good pair of boots with the potential to last me a long time so I went with the Lowa brand. I have previously owned a pair of Lowa Rangers and they were excellent so I decided to buy some new ones....


Unfortunately they did not have any Rangers in my size (I wear a size 13 UK, 14 US or 48-49 Euro..big feet!) so I brought some Lowa Tibets instead.


My new Lowa Tibet boots...

Lowa Tibet GTX boots


Lowa is a German company that make a wide range of both women and men's boots and trail shoes. They have been making boots since the end of the 19th century so are well versed in designing and manufacturing top quality gear.

My new boots may be top quality but they cost a top price as well...$700 NZD a pair....ouch!

They are now the most expensive piece of tramping gear I have ever purchased. I've been wearing my $400 La Sportiva's for four years now so I figure I need to get at least six-eight years of use out of these boots for them to make financial sense. 


Lowa Tibets....full rand, high length, crampon compatible..
Lowa Tibets are high ankle tramping/hunting boots with a full rubber rand around them and thick and aggressive soles. They can be used for tramping, hunting and easy climbing and will accept most crampon sets.

They are really more boot than I need for most of my trips but they are well known for their comfort and durability once fully worn in.

As you can see in the photo below, even Max the cat approves of my purchase...

Max says...YES Jon...Vibram soles good....dogs bad!!!!!

These were purchased from the Hunting and Fishing store in Tower Junction and came with an extra set of laces, spare inner soles and a jar of leather conditioner. Nice!

Better view of the lacing system on the Lowa Tibet...

Lowa Tibet GTX: German precision!

All good quality tramping boots will have Vibram rubber soles on them. Vibram is the leading sole making company in the world and their products are widely used because of their quality and durability. I will only buy boots with Vibram soles on them.

...deep lugs on those Vibram soles...

I am currently wearing these to work a couple of times a week to wear them in. I will let you know how they work out when I take them for their first tramp.

PS: I wore them up to Packhorse Hut, they were super comfortable and had awesome traction.

Wearing the Lowa's outside the Packhorse Hut wardens biv, January 2018

I recently went up the Waimakiriri River to Carrington hut and the Tibets performed well. This is the kind of terrain these boots were made for... step, muddy and rough travel with plenty of boulder bashing involved.

One of my feet in a Lowa Tibet near Carrington Hut, February 2018


On a side note; I'm 50 in August, so these could quite easily be the last pair of boots I ever buy.


1 comment:


  1. One of my best buddies recommended this website and I owe it to her. She helped me to find this nice website. I appreciate your nice work. Keep continuing helping others. I will refer this site to other people like my best buddy. Thanks.
    Hug & blesses!
    Click this post to read more.

    ReplyDelete