Wednesday 27 September 2023

Banks Peninsula, Rod Donald Hut, September 22-23rd

...Rod Donald Hut again...

I visited Rod Donald Hut on the weekend...I was meaning to visit Woolshed Creek but I cancelled it as I was the only person visiting that hut and I felt awkward. Rod Donald was available so I decided to visit it instead. 

Ships off Port Levy in the rain on day one

I started out at my normal spot up on Waipuna Saddle and walked into the hut in the light rain that was falling, The traveling time was much quicker than previously as I was more prepared for the walk. My walking style has improved with me no longer needing my walking stick to visit the hut.

...The track to Rod Donald Hut...

You climb up to the apex of the track, Banks Peninsula

I soon arrived at the Waipuna Saddle and walked to the hut in the gathering gloom.


High point of the Rod Donald Track

Looking to Mt Fitzgerald from the high point

It started raining softly as I headed to the hut...by the time I arrived it was raining hard and the weather continue to deteriorate for the rest of the day.

These three woman passed me on the track, Rod Donald Track

I was passed by three woman waking to the hut...by the time I arrived I was by myself and it continued in this fashion until about 5 when a couple made their way to the hut. I was alone for most of  the day but I put on the fire on so at least  I was not cold.

...they quickly gained on me...

...closer view of three woman that passed me...

I descended to the hut on the track...basically the first part of the track is across farmland and the second part is a gradual drop down to the hut. 

Descending the Rod Donald Track in the rain

Here is the fireplace blazing.. Rod Donald Hut is a backcountry hut with a supply of wood so i was able to have the fire burning. The wood comes from an old stand of Macrocarpa trees that are standing near the hut and slowly being utilised. 


...I soon had a blazing fire burning...

Here is a photo of the interior of the hut showing the main room. It was good once I had the hut warmed up and I enjoyed some 2 minute noodles and some salami sticks I had brought on the way to the hut. 


Interior shots of Rod Donald Hut, Banks Peninsula

...I took that days newspaper with me...

I spent the remainder of the day reading my Kindle and cooking some food before I went off for a sleep for 12 hours. I spent the night with a young couple from Christchurch who arrived at about 5 having come from work.


Day 2: Rod Donald to the road end



On day two I was up and at it from about 7.30 and after I had some breakfast and packed my kit I set off for the carpark. 

..leaving Rod Donald Hut on the second day...

...Rod Donald Hut in the rain..

I was making my way back to the car in the rain that was falling. I got quite wet making my way back up to the car because it was raining a little. I climbed up the track slowly taking care not to slip in the rain.

...Ascending the Rod Donald Track...

Photo taken of the third zig zag, Rod Donald Track

Eventually I made it up to the top of the track were I put on my jacket because the rain was falling more at this stage. Warm in my jacket I continued to climb up the track...

Top of Rod Donald Hut track and I put on my jacket

Upoun reaching the Waipuna Saddle I stopped to take a couple of photos. I took a photo of the signs that mark the apex of the track and ones of the track just past the fences. 

Picture of various signs on Waipuna Saddle

On the way to Port Levy Saddle

A few shots of the down hill section on the way to Port Levy Saddle.... 

Carpark rises out of the gloom...Banks Peninsula

Carpark on Port Levy Saddle in the rain

I walked down to the car thru the mist...it was raining quite strongly and I covered the distance quickly. 

A sign near the start of the track

All up it took me about an hour and a bit to walk to the hut and maybe just over an hour to walk back...pretty good considering it was wet and slippery.

Jon after reaching Port Levy Saddle, Banks Peninsula

I like this hut and though I was planning to walk into Woolshed Creek it was a good tramp to stretch the legs with. I will have to try and visit Woolshed Creek some other time.



Access: Take the road toward Akaroa and turn off Western Valley Road, the hut is situated 2.5 kilometers to the due west along the track.
Hut Details: Rod Donald Hut: 9 bunks, woodbox/woodshed, running water from tanks, fancy composting toilet. 
Miscellaneous: The hut is all season and can be accessed right through the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment