Monday 29 June 2020

A review of my 2019/2020 tramping season...

Of tramping in the year of the plague...

I thought I would do an review of my 2019/2020 tramping season and look at the highs and lows of the year.

Karen and I revisited the Otira Valley in early January 2020

Highlights of the year that was...

It was a real mix of trip types this year: day walks, overnight trips, Te Araroa Trail sections and Great Walks. The trips I completed saw me visit several new conservation areas: Hakatere Nature Reserve, Trotters Gorge Scenic Reserve, Greenstone-Caples Conservation Park, Rakuira National Park and Paparoa National Park.


Hakatere Nature Reserve was a new park I visited in 2019/2020

This season added another 35 odd kilometers towards the completion of my Te Araroa Trail section walk with my trip along the Rakuira Great Walk. I had meant to walk nearly 300 additional TA kilometres this year but it was not to be...the trips were stymied by the Covid-19 crisis.

The Rakuira Track added 35 km's to my Te Araroa total...

Covid-19 really chucked a spanner into the works....I was right on line for some big multi day trips in March and April including some longer Te Araroa Trail sections. It all came to a shuddering halt with the shut down as we were not allowed out into the backcountry here in New Zealand. The multiple weeks we spent in lock-down will mark this year out in our memories for decades to come. 

No return to the St James Conservation Area as planned...

I had a mixture of weather this season...mostly good (i.e. sunny, clear and warm) but also some big rain events occurred while I was on the Routeburn and on the second day of the Te Ara Pataka track. On both occasions rain forced me to change my plans.

Beautiful weather on day one of my Te Ara Pataka trip...

...not so good on day two on Te Ara Pataka
Overall I think it was a good year as far as the weather was concerned.  It would have been an long summer if not for Covid 19 as we had dry conditions from late October right up to May. That has now ended as proper winter conditions have set in with a lot of rain, cold weather and snow especially in the South Island.


Rest break half way to North Arm Hut on the Rakuira Great Walk...

The trip of the season was obviously going to Rakuira/Stewart Island for the first time...it is awesome and I will definitely be going back. I am keen to tramp both the Southern and North West Circuits over the coming years. Im not sure I can fit either into the 2020/2021 season as I am trying to knock off the Great Walks but never say never...

Patterson Inlet, Rakuira Track in late January 2020...

I also really enjoyed Karen and my recent trip to Punakaiki...I think it might be the most complete holiday I have ever had it was so good. Great company, excellent accommodation, nice scenery and bugger all people.


View of Dolomite Point from our accommodation at Punakaiki

It was certainly good to see New Zealand without the tourist hordes we normally have to wade through. 

The 2019/2020 plan...a story of success and failure...


Here is the trip planning list I prepared for this season which shows all of the outings I intended to take over the 2019/2020 season. The completed trips are marked in red and you can click on the links to see the relevant trip reports. There were a number of trips which did not go ahead (mostly due to bad weather) they are marked in black. 

On the Forest Journey, Hanmer Forest, August 2019

I got a big sack full of trips done this season...I probably spent more days tramping this year than in 2013-2016 combined. Partially this was because Karen was keen to do some tramping with me and we did a few walks while on holiday.


August 2019

  • Hanmer Forest Park, Forest Journey/Conical Hill Tracks30 July – 2 Aug, day trips (holiday with Karen)           
  • Canterbury Foothills, Mt Grey Track: 17/18 Aug, day trip (rain....other commitments...)                    
  • Port Hills, Taylors Mistake to Godley Head: 24/25 Aug, Christchurch 360 Trail, day trip (I walked the Bridal Path instead)
  • Port Hills, Bridle Path the Heathcote side:24 August, day walk
  • Lyttelton Harbour, Quail Island Track: 31 August, day walk


On Pt. 86, Quail Island, Lytellton Harbor


                        
September 2019


My Dad passed away in early September, so I went for a few tramps that month as it is my place for quiet contemplation. My Dad was keen on the outdoors when he was young. Dad was from Illinois in the United States and he liked to fish, hunt, hike and camp but he always felt out of place in New Zealand.

I wish we had taken the chance to go tramping together as he was a awesome bloke with a great supply of stories he liked to tell. I reckon he would have been a great tramping companion. 



Jon at Hokitika Gorge....
                   

October 2019
  • Canterbury Foothills, one of: Mt Oxford/Mt Thomas/Mt Richardson, 5/6 October, day trip (I went to Rod Donald instead)
  • Banks Peninsula, Rod Donald via Waipuna Saddle, 6th Oct, day trip (rescheduled from September) 
  • Banks Peninsula, Mt Herbert via Port Levy Saddle: 19th October, day trip                 
  • Abel Tasman NP, Whariwharangi Hut: 26-29th October, Great Walk: multi-day trip (1 hut)

Approaching Whariwharangi Hut in Abel Tasman NP

Whariwharangi Bay in Abel Tasman NP

                       

November 2019

  • Arthurs Pass NP, Bealey Spur or Woolshed Hill, 2/3 Nov, day trip  (cancelled- rain/snow)          
  • Nelson Lakes NP, Brunner Peninsula/Mt Robert Circuit, 15-17 Nov, camp at Kerr Bay Campground and day trips  (it was raining/snowing so....)
  • Nelson Lakes NP, Traver's Valley Romp: 15-17 November, multiday trip
  • Banks Peninsula, Langer Reserve: mid November (this was a trip to bag Josef Langer Hut but I also had a bit of a ramble around the tracks there) (1 hut)



Damp conditions at Lakehead Hut, Nelson Lakes

                        
December 2019

  • Fiordland NP/Mt Aspiring NP, Routeburn Track, 30 Nov-6 December, Great Walk: multiday trip (I got as far as Howdon Hut before the track was closed due to flooding. Instead I walked down the Greenstone Track to McKeller Hut and then returned to the Divide via Howdon Hut. (3 huts)
  • Canterbury Foothills, Mt Grey Track, 14/15 December, day trip      (...cancelled again..rain...)
  • Banks Peninsula, Bridal Path, Lytelton side: 27 Dec: day walk



On Key Summit, Routeburn Track..before the deluge...
                                          

January 2020

  • Travis Wetlands Nature Reserve, Travis Wetlands: 2nd January, day walk
  • Arthurs Pass NP: Christmas Break: Otira Valley/JC's Track/Bealey Valley, over the Christmas break, 5-9th January
  • Hakatere Nature Reserve, Lake Emma & Lake Emma Hut: 11 January, day walk (2 huts)
  • Hakatere Nature Reserve, Woolshed Creek Hut: 18-19th January, overnight (1 hut)
  • Trotters Gorge Scenic Reserve Otago, Trotters Gorge: 26th January, day-walk (on the way to Rakuira Great Walk) (1 hut)
  • Rakuira/Stewart Island, Ulva Island: 27th January, day trip (1 hut)
  • Rakuira/Stewart Island, Rakuria Track: 28 Jan-2 Feb, Great Walk: multiday trip (also TA Section) (3 huts)                    


Arriving at Ulva Island, Rakuira NP



February 2020

  • Arthur's Pass NP, 2020 Waimakiriri River Romp, Crow Hut/Waimakiriri Falls Hut/Barker Hut, over the 2020 Coast to Coast weekend, 6-8 Feb, multiday trip...an annual event (raining in the mountains so...)
  • Banks Peninsula, Te Ara Pataka (Hilltop to Diamond Harbor via Mt Herbert): 6-7 February (I walked from Hilltop to Rod Donald Hut and then had to bail out and walk down to Little River due to heavy rain/dangerous conditions on day two...I tried...)
  • Lake Summer FP, Harpers Pass Track-mid February, TA Section, multi-day trip (raining...like a biblical deluge...850mm of rain in 24 hours!!!!)
  • Hakatere Nature Reserve, Pinnacles Hut: 29th February-1st March, overnight (2 hut)

Passing under a waterfall on the way to Pinnacles Hut

       
  So we all know what happened in March....Covid-19 arrived with a vengeance and that as they say was that for the 2019-2020 tramping season. Here in New Zealand we were closed for business from early March right through to mid May and any tramping was strictly VERBOTEN!!!!

You were still able to get out and walk so I spent most afternoons out walking around my local area....


March 2020 (Possible trips TBC) (all cancelled-Covid 19)

Nelson Lakes NP/St James Conservation Area,  D’Urville-Waiau Valley Trip: D'Urville Valley- Moss Pass- Blue Lake- Waiau Pass- Waiau Valley- Hanmer via St James Cycleway, early March, Partial TA Section, multiday trip             
Arthurs Pass NP, Coral Track/Cons Track, late March, day trip    
                            

April 2020  (Possible trips TBC) (all cancelled-Covid 19)

Kahurangi NP, Heaphy Track or Cobb Valley or Lake Matiri or Mt Arthur Tablelands, multiday trip
Abel Tasman NP, Inland Track- Anchorage to Totaranui, multiday trip
Hakatere Conservation Park, one of: Rakaia River- Rangitata River or Rangitata- Lake Tekapo or Tekapo- Lake Ohau- all TA Sections, multiday trip     


I was hoping to tramp around Lake Tekapo in 2020.....nope!!!!

May 2020:

  • Port Hills, Harry Ell Walkway: 16th May, fitness walk (the first weekend we could go walking after going to Covid-19 Level 2)
  • Travis Wetland Nature Reserve, Travis Wetland: 23rd May, day-walk
  • Arthur's Pass NP, Cockayne Nature Walk: 29th May, day trip (holiday with Karen)


On the Cockayne Nature Walk in late May


June 2020:



On the Pororari River Track/Paparoa Great Walk

I still have a couple of trips scheduled for July 2020...given the recent bad weather we will see if they go ahead. It has been raining now for 16 days straight with significant snow dumps in the Southern Alps. I am trying to get out for some winter tramping trips but you have to be realistic about tramping in bad weather. 


July 2020:still to be completed....then 2020/2021 season starts!
  • Lake Daniels Scenic Reserve: new Manson-Nichols Hut, 4-5th June, overnight
  • Kaikoura, Kaikoura Peninsula Clifftop Walkway, 18 June, day walk
  • Banks Peninsula, Packhorse Hut: 25 June, day walk
                                                                                              
 I was able to bag 15 new back country huts this season which has taken my total up to 218 huts visited.

Karen and I also bagged Woolshed Creek Hut in February

Final thoughts on the 2019/2020 season


What was gearing up to be a cracking tramping season turned into a small fizzer due to the Covid-19 crisis. What was especially irritating was that we had excellent weather right up to the end of May and all of the planned tramps could have been completed before winter rolled in. I just couldn't go as DOC closed facilities, tracks and huts and our movement was limited due to Covid 19.

A Covid-19 message at a track entrance...a common sight this year!

Oh well...that's the way things go sometimes...I still got lots of excellent tramping in this year...and bagged another 15 backcountry huts.

Port William Hut...one of 15 huts bagged this season...

I am currently working on a plan for 2020/2021 which includes two Great Walks, several multi-day trips, some MTB bike rides and a whole pile of day trips. I will be more thoroughly exploring Paparoa National Park, revisiting Fiordland, the St James Conservation Area plus the Canterbury Foothills and heading into Richmond Forest Park for the first time.

Lake Guyon Hut in the St James is targeted in the 2020/2021 tramping season..

It will be interesting to see what a season with little to no international trampers will be like....will it be Nirvana or the seventh circle of hell?

Y'all come back soon to see what I am going to be up to over the next tramping season...



2 comments:

  1. Quite inspiring to see how precise you are with your tramping plans. I've copied and pasted some of your trip ideas into my imaginary list of tramps that I want to do this summer. It'll be interesting to watch how you'll manage to tackle all the tramps that you've planned for yourself as the season goes on :) Take care out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow an old Army axiom...Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance...or the 5 P's. I will do 'spur of the moment' trips but generally I will have been mulling over a visit to that destination for a while. A good example is my recent (September 2020) trip to the Cobb Valley...I organised this in three days but had been contemplating it for several years...plan hard to tramp easy!!!

    ReplyDelete