Monday 20 September 2021

From the vault: Tramping the St James Walkway in February 2015

 A Canterbury Classic...

I was recently updating some of the information on my post about the last time I tramped around the St James Walkway back in 2015. It was an excellent trip and I thought I would bring it out of the vault for another look.

The St James Walkway starts at Lewis Pass 

...you pass the Lewis Pass Tarn enroute to the Maruia River

The St James Walkway is a 67 kilometer long tramp from Lewis Pass car park to Boyle Village further down the Boyle River Valley. It takes from 2-5 days to cover...the time really depends on how long of a tramping day you can stand. 

You cross the Cannibal Gorge suspension bridge on day one...

 I know the St James Walkway has become a fast packing classic so more people are walking it quickly over 1-3 days. I covered the distance over four days and that was challenging enough for me with one 24 and another 17 kilometer day.... 


DOC webpage for the St James Walkway

The St James is one of the classic Canterbury tramps and involves long walks down wide grassy valleys and crossing a couple of minor passes on your way. You take in the Maruia, Ada, Christopher, Waiau, Henry, Anne and Boyle River catchments. It can be walked both directions but the classic way is from Lewis Pass back to Boyle Village. If you do it this way you might be able to arrange a car drop off (in your own car) by the BOEC staff. You can also securely park your vehicle at their facility.


Walking through the beautiful Christopher River Valley

Christopher Hut is one of eight huts along the St James Walkway

The track was in the running to become a new Great Walk back in 2018 and made it into the final six being considered but in the end they went with the Te Paki Track and Humpridge Track. I think that it will ultimately become a summer season Great Walk which would be good as it would mean hut and track upgrades. It would be no good as a winter GW as there is constant avalanche risk from Cannibal Gorge suspension bridge right through to Christopher Hut. 

Gloriana Peak is in the Spencer Mountain Range

I have a plan to head along a section of the St James Walkway early in the new year as I want to walk from Boyle to Anne Hut and then head down the Waiau River to baggins the huts along the St James Cycle Trail. I would then walk out over Jacks Pass to Hanmer Springs on the Hydro Road. This is the alternate route for Te Araroa trekkers if they are considering a resupply in Hanmer. 

..if you are lucky you might see the St James wild horses...

Anne Saddle is one of two passes you cross...

Anyway have a look at my post about the St James Walkway...I hope you enjoy it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment